Color changing LED lights, either bulbs or strips, are a growing trend and people simply love them. It’s no secret why they are so popular, they’re simple to use, very nice to have to create a cool ambiance in any room and they’re an affordable way to add value to your home.
In this post, we’re looking at a cool LED light bulb called MIPOW. The light bulb was provided to us by gearbest.com for this review. Gear Best is a premier online retailer of electronics and gadgets at affordable prices with worldwide shipping.
Features of the MIPOW Smart Color-chaning LED Light Bulb:
- Smart LED light bulb that connects to your phone wirelessly.
- Connects via Bluetooth 4.0 (low energy).
- Allows you to change the color of the light via your phone.
- Connect multiple light bulbs, control up to 5 light bulbs at the same time.
- Adjust brightness of the light through your phone.
- Color changing modes include: flashing, rainbow, pulse and gradual change.
- Wake Up mode allows you to set the light to wake you up at a set time.
I was quite surprised by how easy the set up was. It is by far one of the easiest Bluetooth devices I ever paired:
- First thing you need to do is download the app ‘PLAYBULB X’ which is free from the App Store (also available for Android devices).
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled on your phone or tablet, whichever you’re using to control the lamp.
- After installing the bulb to your lamp base, switch it on. At this point it will be set to a normal warm glow.
- Launch the app, hit the connect button and your light bulb will automatically pair with your phone.
And you’re all set!
The app will give you an RGB color wheel where you can select the color for the light. The colors are spot-on, quite impressive what shades you can get. There’s an option where you can also choose or take a photo and select a shade from that photo, this option was disappointing as the light shade and photo match isn’t good enough, not for the photoI tried anyway, so it could work differently from one photo to another. However, choosing a color either from the wheel or from the solid color selection gives you the correct color.
Using the Timer:
This is a great feature if you want to automatically set your light to wake you up at a certain time. It works as promised, just set your alarm time and the color of the light and it should do what you say. However, once an alarm has gone off, you’ll have to set it up again for the next day, which isn’t very practical for someone who wants to use the timer every day. I do hope this is something that can be fixed in future updates of the app.
The MIPOW Smart LED light bulb works exactly as promised. It gives you color-changing effects, cost-effective LED light (it only uses 5W of power with light equivalent of 40W) and very easy set up that works for a newbie or a techie. My only issue with it is the app, which works perfectly and does a good job, but certainly lacks a good interface, which I do hope will be fixed in future updates. Other than that, the MIPOW light bulb is quite a steal at $19.99 with free worldwide shipping from Gear Best. And if you’re lucky, you can catch GearBest’s flash sale in celebration of their 2nd Anniversary and receive a great discount.
Watch It In Action: